Choosing a Personal Injury Lawyer in Markham
No doubt you’ve seen the ads on TV for personal injury lawyers. Markham has its fair share of incidences causing personal injury, most especially due to car accidents. It’s easy to dismiss those ads for a lawyer until you need one.
If you’re specifically in search of car accident lawyers, Markham has more than one to choose from. How do you know you’re making the right choice? Here’s a guide of what to look out for when you need to choose the right lawyer.
What Is a Personal Injury?
In order to choose the right personal injury lawyer, it’s important to have a good understanding of what sorts of cases are considered personal injury. Car accidents are the most common cause of personal injury lawyer services. Markham has among the highest accident rates of Canada’s cities, with a collision frequency of 6.12%. It is the second worst city in all of York Region, after only Richmond Hill, for having accidents. But there are other kinds of personal injuries.
- Accidents: In addition to car accidents these include medical malpractice and slips, trips and falls that are caused by someone else’s negligence.
- Intentional Acts: If someone purposely causes you harm, they are financially liable. An example of this would be cases of assault and battery.
- Defamation: Not all injuries are physical. If a person hurts your reputation by making defamatory statements, then you are entitled to recompense.
- Defective Products: When a company has released a defective product, they are financially liable for injuries that result.
How to Be Sure You’re Choosing the Right Lawyer
Now that you know what constitutes personal injury, what factors should you consider?
- Trial Experience: When you bring a personal injury case to court, you want to win, so it’s important to choose a lawyer who has a proven track record of getting results.
- Cost: It’s important that the lawyer that you choose is upfront about what their fee schedule is. How much will the case cost, and when and how will you pay? Does the lawyer offer flexible fee structures or contingency fee arrangements?
- Location: While many car accidents lead to local court cases, an instance of defective products or medical malpractice may involve a case against a large corporation that is not local. It’s important to choose a lawyer that understands the community you are coming from, but who is also experienced and capable of trying cases in a much broader context.
If you have any questions about what steps are next in dealing with a personal injury, give us a call. Steven Polak of Lerners LLP Personal Injury offers free consultations without any obligation. He’s dedicated his career to helping people facing injuries. He’s also one of the finest disability lawyers Markham offers. If you need the services of Markham personal injury lawyers Steven Polak’s record of getting results and commitment to helping his clients is the right choice to make.
About The Author
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.