What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
Here are some steps to take to make sure you are on the right track:
- Remain calm: The most important thing to remember is to stay calm. Despite your feelings of you was at fault, overreacting at the scene of the accident can actually be detrimental to your case as you move forward in the process.
- Stay on the scene: One thing to remember is to not leave the scene of the accident, no matter how small. Even if you don’t think much damage has been done and it appears as if no one is hurt, it is important to stay and see the process through.
- Make notes and take pictures: Document what happened before, during, and after the incident. Include details like what street you were driving on, an estimated time of the accident, and how you came to be in contact with the other driver.
- Exchange information: It is a good idea to get the name, address, insurance company, and policy number of the other driver. Make notes about the make, model, and color of their car for insurance purposes.
- Call the police: It is very important to involve the authorities so that there is documentation of the accident. This step may also help to speed up the claims process with your insurance company.