Main office: 123 Athol Street, Whitby, ON L1N 3Z1
Satellite office: 302-1315 Pickering Parkway, ON L1V 7G5
Call for a free consultation: 905-409-2438
Injured by an Unidentified/Uninsured Car – What Do I Do?
Rate this article
1 votes — 5.0
3 years ago

Didn't like this article? Please let us know why and we will make it better!

Injured by an Unidentified/Uninsured Car – What Do I Do?

July 17, 2012 - in Advice, Car Accident, Information

A car accident can be a traumatic event. However, when the at-fault driver speeds off after the accident, or you find out that the driver is not insured, that can make you even more nervous and confused about your rights.

People often wonder whether they have a right to any accident benefits and whether they have a right to recover for pain and suffering, future losses and other damages that are often claimed in lawsuits. In the majority of cases, the fact that the other driver is unidentified or the fact that the other driver does not have insurance, probably will not stand in the way of your entitlement. There is “uninsured and unidentified” coverage available to many injured persons under their own car insurance policies. Many people do not even know that they have this coverage available to them.

If insurance is not available there may still be a way to claim through a government system known as the motor vehicle accident claims fund. It is important to investigate the availability of insurance early.

However, in motor vehicle accident cases, notice and time limits do apply. If you have been injured and have questions it is important that you speak to a lawyer right away who can provide a legal analysis of your rights and provide you with advice about the steps that you have to take to protect your rights.

Request Your
FREE Consultation