Main office: 619 Brock Street South, Whitby, Ontario, L1N 4L1.
Satellite office: 302-1315 Pickering Parkway, ON L1V 7G5
Call for a free consultation: 905-409-2438

How do I fire my paralegal, lawyer or hire a new lawyer?

July 5, 2012 - in Advice

Just as weddings can lead to divorces, and new cars can lead to auto trader postings, your relationship with your lawyer or paralegal can sour and need to be ended.  It is unfortunate when it happens, but it can happen.

The first thing that you should know in an injury case on contingency, is that you are unlikely to be required to pay any fees up front.  The usual procedure is that your new lawyer may agree to “protect” a reasonable amount of the old paralegal or lawyer’s fees, as agreed upon or as assessed.  Another important thing to remember is that consulting with another lawyer will likely be free and may provide you with some perspective.

In some past cases, our lawyers have seen people who believe that they are being treated unfairly, but are really just confused about the process.  They have made efforts to explain the issues and encouraged the person to speak with their lawyers again.

When the relationship cannot be salvaged, lawyers will assess the situation and consider a fair and equitable fee arrangement and retainer.  In some cases, such as if you are with a paralegal, no additional fees at all may be required.  That is because paralegals typically cannot handle tort claims and so their work would have been restricted to accident benefits.

If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation where you have to fire your lawyer or paralegal or hire someone new, call us to assess the situation and to consider what further steps can be taken.  The call is free.  905-409-2438