Questions You Should Ask Your Personal Injury Lawyer
Whether you have been injured from a car accident, a work injury, or a slip in fall, you do have the right to take legal action and seek compensation for your injuries. Finding the right lawyer for your claim is the most important. Be sure your personal injury lawyer is with you every step of the way.
Seek consultation with an attorney right away following your injury as there often laws about how soon a claim must be filed after the injury.
When finding the attorney right for you and discussing your claim, you’ll want to ask the right questions. We’ve gathered together a few of the important questions you should ask regarding your personal injury claim.
1) Choosing the Right Lawyer.
Once you find a lawyer you wish to discuss your personal injury claim with, be sure to ask if your initial consultation is actually free, regardless of your decision. You don’t want to be hit with any surprise fees following this meeting.
Some additional questions to ask:
- Do you have experience in personal injury law?
- How long have you been practicing?
- Are you the lawyer who will be handling my case?
- Do you practice any other areas of law or do you deal exclusively with personal injury law?
- Can you refer me to medical experts, such as doctors who have experience in personal injury litigation, if necessary?
2) Questions regarding your personal injury case.
During your consultation, you need to ask questions that prove the depth of knowledge your lawyer has about addressing your situation. The answers to these questions should leave you satisfied in your decision for representation. Some questions you may want to consider are:
- What are my rights regarding my personal injury claim?
- What steps will you take to resolve my personal injury claim?
- Do I have the grounds to file the claim for compensation?
- What are my options regarding filing a claim?
- Does this case appear to be successful and is it worth pursuing with a lawyer?
- What are the next steps in the process and how do you handle my particular situation?
- How can I reach you if I need to be in touch?
3) Retainer Agreement, Costs, and Settlement Awards.
When you have retained a lawyer, carefully go over the agreement and address any questions or concerns you have. This is an important part of the process and you want to be sure you have left no stone unturned. Ask questions like:
- What are the initial fees and what will I be charged, if anything?
- Will I be charged for the use of medical experts sought for the purpose of the case?
- Which financial expenses and losses can I claim in my personal injury case?
- Can I pay my legal fees with my compensation settlement?
If you are in the GTA, Lerners Lawyers has personal injury lawyers who can assist you with your personal injury case. Don’t suffer alone! Contact the team at Lerners Lawyers and schedule a consultation today. Soon you may have the resources on hand to stop worrying about money and focus your attention on getting well.
About The Author
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.